Author Topic: Heater for ice shanty  (Read 7960 times)

Offline Scalloper

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Eat Scallops
Heater for ice shanty
« on: Jan 02, 2013, 05:52 AM »
I built a 6X8 ice shanty made intirely out of cedar. I had it insulated with spray foam insulation. The floor, walls and ceiling is all insulated. I also have the interior walls covered with paneling. I plan on installing a CO2 detector and a heater. I would like to sleep in it nights but I ma concerned about what kind of heater to install. I have seen some guys on here use Empire heaters would these be a good choice? Its so well insulated it will not take much but the more comfortable the more time I will be spending in it.  Any suggestions?
Here are some photos of the shanty

______________________ ___

Its a lazy man that cant find his wife a second job

Offline ducati

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: Heater for ice shanty
« Reply #1 on: Jan 02, 2013, 07:50 AM »
I would go with a big heater buddy and a 5 lb propane tank, for a well insulated shack like that (very nice by the way, I am jealous) you could even get away with a regular heater buddy. 

Offline just_a_beer_man

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #2 on: Jan 02, 2013, 08:21 AM »
Thats a nice lookin shanty.. Big Buddy would do a great job..
Flag!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Offline ryanmolnar55

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #3 on: Jan 02, 2013, 08:31 AM »
Thats a nice lookin shanty.. Big Buddy would do a great job..
X2

Offline johntom0013

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #4 on: Jan 02, 2013, 08:43 AM »
I built a 6X8 ice shanty made intirely out of cedar. I had it insulated with spray foam insulation. The floor, walls and ceiling is all insulated. I also have the interior walls covered with paneling. I plan on installing a CO2 detector and a heater. I would like to sleep in it nights but I ma concerned about what kind of heater to install. I have seen some guys on here use Empire heaters would these be a good choice? Its so well insulated it will not take much but the more comfortable the more time I will be spending in it.  Any suggestions?
Here are some photos of the shanty
(Image removed from quote.)
Just out of curiosity, who did you have spray the shanty. I have to ask as I have been spraying the foam for about 26 years. I did a few of my own shanty's many years ago while in Michigan as well as my hunting blinds. You could heat them with a candle once they were sprayed.
Best to be thought of as a fool than to open your mouth and erase all doubt.

Offline bwana72

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #5 on: Jan 02, 2013, 09:11 AM »
I am with the other guys....a Big Buddy Heater with a 20lb tank and you would be set. The Big Buddy would be more than enough to keep you warm.
Good Things Come To Those Who Bait

Offline Whopper Stopper

• Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #6 on: Jan 02, 2013, 09:32 AM »
I am with the other guys....a Big Buddy Heater with a 20lb tank and you would be set. The Big Buddy would be more than enough to keep you warm.

My vote also.

WS

Offline RedfishHunter

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Guy Martin
« Reply #7 on: Jan 02, 2013, 09:35 AM »
Big buddy would be the best bet...20 tank and you would be in business...

Offline Scalloper

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Eat Scallops
« Reply #8 on: Jan 02, 2013, 11:55 AM »
Just out of curiosity, who did you have spray the shanty. I have to ask as I have been spraying the foam for about 26 years. I did a few of my own shanty's many years ago while in Michigan as well as my hunting blinds. You could heat them with a candle once they were sprayed.
I buddie from mid coast Maine has a spray foam business. I just hauled it to one of his job sites and he sprayed it.

Offline Scalloper

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Eat Scallops
« Reply #9 on: Jan 02, 2013, 11:57 AM »
Big buddy would be the best bet...20 tank and you would be in business...
I have a Big Buddie heater but I am very concerned about CO2 poisening. Not so much with me but my son. With it being so air tight I should have a vented heater.

Offline Kevin in maine

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #10 on: Jan 02, 2013, 12:08 PM »
A direct vent propane heater would be best. All the combustible gases go outside and they will run off a thermostat.

Offline ice dawg

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • Tawny-"Ice Pooch"
« Reply #11 on: Jan 02, 2013, 12:14 PM »
I have a Big Buddie heater but I am very concerned about CO2 poisening. Not so much with me but my son. With it being so air tight I should have a vented heater.
I use a 15,000 Empire Direct Vent in my wheelhouse. I still use a CO detector and sleep with the window cracked a bit, but don't worry about waking up in the morning. I don't know how small they go, but there used to be a 10,000 BTU Empire. You can always turn the thermostat down.
It seems to go from zero to hero all some have to do is lie.

Offline ryanmolnar55

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #12 on: Jan 02, 2013, 12:42 PM »

Id put a CO2 detector in and make sure there's enough ventilation!

Offline Scalloper

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Eat Scallops
« Reply #13 on: Jan 02, 2013, 12:50 PM »
I use a 15,000 Empire Direct Vent in my wheelhouse. I still use a CO detector and sleep with the window cracked a bit, but don't worry about waking up in the morning. I don't know how small they go, but there used to be a 10,000 BTU Empire. You can always turn the thermostat down.
16,000 Empire Direct Vent is the smallest I have found and its $400

Offline ice dawg

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • Tawny-"Ice Pooch"
« Reply #14 on: Jan 02, 2013, 01:04 PM »
I believe I paid around $554 six years ago shipped to me and the local Propane dealer wanted $675 for a 15,000 Empire at that time.

Offline ice dawg

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • Tawny-"Ice Pooch"
« Reply #15 on: Jan 02, 2013, 01:15 PM »
Here is an Empire 8,000 which may work well for you. The smaller oned don't have remote thermostats though. http://www.ktonic.com/ProductDetails.asp?ProductCode=163982

Offline Bass Rat

• IceShanty Rookie
  • So much water, so little time.
« Reply #16 on: Jan 02, 2013, 01:36 PM »
A direct vent propane heater would be best. All the combustible gases go outside and they will run off a thermostat.
This is what i use by nu way you can get them in gas or wood and they vent out side with a 3" pipe.

Offline ryanmolnar55

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #17 on: Jan 02, 2013, 01:46 PM »
This is what i use by nu way you can get them in gas or wood and they vent out side with a 3" pipe.

Whats the price on that?

FRESHBAIT

« Reply #18 on: Jan 02, 2013, 02:52 PM »
Go to nuwaystove.com. think it's a couple hundred bucks,  I bought their wood version years ago through northerntool n clearance for $50

Offline ryanmolnar55

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #19 on: Jan 02, 2013, 03:26 PM »
Just checked them out and it looks like something id want in a hardside! Fairly priced, in my opinion

Offline Bass Rat

• IceShanty Rookie
  • So much water, so little time.
« Reply #20 on: Jan 02, 2013, 03:42 PM »
Reeds sporting goods sell them starting at $100.

Offline Mikefix

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #21 on: Jan 02, 2013, 06:01 PM »

I use a wall mounted 5000 watt catalytic propane heater. There hard to find but are bullet proof, excellent heater. My shack 6 x8 also insulated and most fish with their coats off. The buddy heater well be just fine and you can hook it to a 20lb tank outside, it’s cheaper to run that way than the small bottles. Here’s a pic of my heater and shack

Offline fishfighter

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #22 on: Jan 02, 2013, 06:06 PM »
Whats the price on that?
You can get these on ebay, usually between $100-$200
Mark it 8 dude

Offline SoDakdick

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #23 on: Jan 02, 2013, 06:11 PM »
The big buddy has a co shut off. I found this out the hard way in my camper. Shortly aftrr instslling it went camp had my vent cracked and couldn't figure out why until the co detecator went off. It works fine now I just have to open the vent all ofvthe way.
Keep your stick on the ice we are all in this together.

Offline nodakclam19

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • If ya can't catch em, break out the beer.
« Reply #24 on: Jan 02, 2013, 06:21 PM »
I wouldn't worry to much about the CO2 in your ice shack. If the levels get too high your buddy heater will automatically turn itself off, otherwise buy a detector and crack the windows.
Fall: Duck/Pheasant/Bow Hunting
Winter: Hardwater Fishing
Spring: Snow Goose Hunting
Summer: Musky/Walleye Fishing

Offline boxcar

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • RETIRED!!
« Reply #25 on: Jan 02, 2013, 06:26 PM »
I have a 16,000 forced air furnace in my shack. My next one will be a direct vent. I like the forced air, but tired of maintaining batteries.

Offline pike4some

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • GIT R DONE
« Reply #26 on: Jan 02, 2013, 06:38 PM »
I have the Big Buddy heater my self and i think there is a CO shutoff that auto shuts it off if needed. I think when they first came out they did not. I saw a bunch of them cheap at sportsmans warehouse one time and asked why so cheap and was told they had to sell as seconds as they were referbished when the put the CO shut off into them even though they were still new and not used they could not sell them as new being they were a recall or something like that.

Offline ryanmolnar55

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #27 on: Jan 02, 2013, 06:44 PM »
I have the Big Buddy heater my self and i think there is a CO shutoff that auto shuts it off if needed. I think when they first came out they did not. I saw a bunch of them cheap at sportsmans warehouse one time and asked why so cheap and was told they had to sell as seconds as they were referbished when the put the CO shut off into them even though they were still new and not used they could not sell them as new being they were a recall or something like that.

Your right! I totally forgot about that, well that saves me money from buying a CO2 detector.

Offline pike4some

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • GIT R DONE
« Reply #28 on: Jan 02, 2013, 06:54 PM »
Your right! I totally forgot about that, well that saves me money from buying a CO2 detector.

It is a great feature they added to put peoples safety at perspective. How many fisherman still don't think about it until it is to late.

Offline wiskeyfish

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • "I don't exaggerate... I just remember BIG!"
« Reply #29 on: Jan 02, 2013, 07:43 PM »
My buddy installed 2 small shed vents in his spray foamed hut . $12 at Home Depot. $79.99 for buddy heater. Have slept in the hut with plenty of ventilation, if there wasn't heater would shut off. Also the buddy heater is never set higher then low, you'll be sweating.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.