The ice fishing ME board is sponsored by:
Visit Dags visit derby website

Author Topic: Propane Heater for Hardside Ice shack  (Read 16402 times)

Offline EmeraldShiner

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Live on for those that have been lost.
Propane Heater for Hardside Ice shack
« on: Dec 16, 2013, 06:40 PM »
Hey Ladies and Gentleman,

Am looking for some advice on a portable propane heating device for a Hardside Ice Shack, no larger than 8' x 10', am thinking Cabelas is the best source for the unit.  Could you give advice as to whether I am on the right track, if so, which unit offerred by Cabelas would you recommend and if not what other source would you go to to buy the best product at the highest quality?

Thank you for your time and devotion dedicated to attention to this matter,

EmerarldShiner

Offline MG39

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • No Matter Where You Go, There You Are!
Re: Propane Heater for Hardside Ice shack
« Reply #1 on: Dec 16, 2013, 06:49 PM »
I use the Big Buddy in mine Mark. I think you might find one less expensive than what Cabela's gets. ::)
Man To Man Is So Unjust,
No Man Knows, Which Man To Trust,
I Have Trusted Many, To My Sorrow,
Pay Cash Today & I Will Trust Tomorrow,
Maybe......

Semper-Fi

Offline lunkahville

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #2 on: Dec 16, 2013, 06:54 PM »
We had a(n) 8'x8' hardside that had a small wall mount propane heater in it. That worked awesome. I think it was around 25,000 btu. It may sound like over kill but I have never been kept as warm as that thing would do. And if you pay attention to unclehenrys or craiglist you might be able to pick one up cheap. And it hardly used any propane so a bbq tank ran it for a weekend.
Fishing is like playing at Carnegie Hall, when your good your good. But do you know how to get to Carnegie Hall? PRACTICE!

Offline Fish Wayniac

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #3 on: Dec 16, 2013, 07:05 PM »
I have a 8x10 shack and have a home made wood stove.You can also buy a tent wood stove at Cabellas and Northern tool.I like the wood heat cause can cook with and the woods free.

Offline Hoodoo

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #4 on: Dec 16, 2013, 07:10 PM »
I have a Mr.Buddy Heater that heats my portable well, Not sure who makes the one you can cook on or heat with, but that is what I would upgrade to.
I live with fear everyday and sometimes she lets me go fishing

Offline BassinAssassin

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Hell Ain't a bad place to be!

Offline Sinnian

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • PM me
« Reply #6 on: Dec 16, 2013, 07:22 PM »
X2 on the Big Buddy!  With batteries in it, the blower feature can not be beat.  Like MG stated, shop around ~ I picked mine up at the end of Feb at Lowes for 1/2 price (think I learned that from Bob too ;-)  )

Offline Brookieslayer20

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #7 on: Dec 16, 2013, 08:20 PM »
I use the Big Buddy in mine Mark. I think you might find one less expensive than what Cabela's gets. ::)
also use the big buddy in my 4x8 love it

Offline Epkomd

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #8 on: Dec 16, 2013, 09:28 PM »
i use the sunflower. they say you shouldnt use em in an enclosed area, but i havent had any problems with it. IT throws plenty of heat, is fairly cheap, and you can cook on it.

I had a buddy heater and hated it. i much prefer the sunflower. but thats just my opinion. i think i got it for 50 bucks?

Offline jacksmelt71

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #9 on: Dec 17, 2013, 01:30 AM »
i have a 1 burner cast iron propane stove i bought at northern tool , piped to a grill tank w/ a regulator. cheap to heat and you can cook on it also. grill tank lasts a long time.

Offline kevinmaine3

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #10 on: Dec 17, 2013, 06:05 AM »
I have a 5x7 hard side. I got one of those little military stoves in it. Works great!! I burn sterno logs in it. I also have a Mr. Buddy heater, both work well.

Offline FRESH-BAIT

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #11 on: Dec 17, 2013, 01:24 PM »
Theres a few options for ya I like the Nu-way stoves they're cool little heaters.  I bought one of their wood stoves years ago from northern tool on clearance for $40.  New they run around $100 for the wood stove,  They also make them for propane and will run you from $139-$199.  you can check them out here http://www.nuwaystove.com/

or you can go with the blue flame ventless heaters which are pretty nice and throw alot of heat.  Can be wall mounted
I found a bunch at northern tool http://www.northerntool.com/shop/tools/NTESearch?storeId=6970&N=0&Ntk=All&Ntt=procom&Nty=1&D=procom&Ntx=mode matchallpartial&Dx=mode matchallpartial&cmnosearch=PPC&cm_ven=bing_PPC&cm_cat=SubBrands&cm_pla=generic&cm_ite=procom&mkwid=buqQPTqqx&pcrid=785141935&mt=b ,  but also if you get the latest issue of In-Fishermans Ice fishing magazine there is a Reeds catalog in there with a ton of cool stuff for ice fishing. www.reedssports.com they have alot of the Mr. Heater propane heaters.  from $119-$279.

I'm a fan of a small wood stove,  b/c I like the dry heat and if you know someone that can weld for free or cheap you can make one from just about anything. 

Propane tends to make to much condensation on the inside of the shanty for me.  I've also seen guys heat their whole shack with just a propane camp stove or a few propane lamps.  Good luck. 

Offline Coach

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #12 on: Dec 17, 2013, 05:11 PM »
I was fishing on Crystal and a gentleman was leaving and offered up his shack to us as the Wind was blowing a gale. I was so hot in there we were down to a tee shirt. Here is a picture of his setup with the heater he used. If I ever go with a hardside, this is what I would use.

Offline Sinnian

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • PM me
« Reply #13 on: Dec 17, 2013, 05:45 PM »
Not sure if I would store a propane tank there  :cookoo: :cookoo: :cookoo:

Offline jacksmelt71

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #14 on: Dec 17, 2013, 08:46 PM »
a 1 burner stove on the floor w/ that setup works great and you can cook on it. i put 2   , 3in slant vents on either end up near the roof to help w/ condensation. heat loss is minimal and you always have fresh air. been doing this for 30yrs.! near have condensation.

Offline The Rusty Crab

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • I'm not leaving until I catch a fish!!! R. Crabs
« Reply #15 on: Dec 17, 2013, 08:50 PM »
I'm looking for a good high btu propane unit for the entry way at my "place" this looks interesting

Offline Coach

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #16 on: Dec 17, 2013, 09:15 PM »
Not sure if I would store a propane tank there  :cookoo: :cookoo: :cookoo:
The heater was not running when the tank was there, I can see where it looks like it was. He only had the one tank

Offline 9huskies

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #17 on: Dec 17, 2013, 09:17 PM »
I was fishing on Crystal and a gentleman was leaving and offered up his shack to us as the Wind was blowing a gale. I was so hot in there we were down to a tee shirt. Here is a picture of his setup with the heater he used. If I ever go with a hardside, this is what I would use.

(Image removed from quote.)
Those Empire heaters put out some serious BTUs along with a lot of water vapor. A new one lists for about $500. For about $700 you can get the Empire DV210 direct vent heater. It vents through an outside wall so all the exhaust gasses won't pollute the air in your shack with carbon monoxide or water vapor. I still prefer a wood burning stove.

Offline icecruiser

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #18 on: Dec 17, 2013, 10:25 PM »
Emerald,
Buy a little wood stove.  Much nicer heat on the ice.  Dry heat vs the moisture associated with the propane.  In my opinion there is no comparison. 

I used the buddy heater and could never get warm or dry stuff out in the shack.  I did that for 2 years.   Now I have a wood stove in my shack and I can hang out in it no matter what the weather.  Some of the new bio bricks or geo bricks or envi blocks burn nice and slow and controlled and with little ash and very compact.  When using plain wood I found that the temperature variation was greater.   

My favorite heat is the wood stove.  I can show you sometime if you want, you know where i am.   Might be worth checking out sometime this year if you get a chance. 

John

Offline PerchPro113

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • It's Fishing, Not catching.
« Reply #19 on: Dec 18, 2013, 12:35 AM »
My cousins use an old three burner camp stove. One burner heats that thing up nice! And you can cook to!!!!

Offline Hoodoo

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #21 on: Dec 18, 2013, 06:44 AM »
Emerald,
Buy a little wood stove.  Much nicer heat on the ice.  Dry heat vs the moisture associated with the propane.  In my opinion there is no comparison. 

I used the buddy heater and could never get warm or dry stuff out in the shack.  I did that for 2 years.   Now I have a wood stove in my shack and I can hang out in it no matter what the weather.  Some of the new bio bricks or geo bricks or envi blocks burn nice and slow and controlled and with little ash and very compact.  When using plain wood I found that the temperature variation was greater.   

My favorite heat is the wood stove.  I can show you sometime if you want, you know where i am.   Might be worth checking out sometime this year if you get a chance. 

John
  X2 if I didn't have a portable, I would do wood too, the moisture the gas puts  does make it dripping damp....
I live with fear everyday and sometimes she lets me go fishing

Offline Scalloper

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Eat Scallops
« Reply #22 on: Dec 18, 2013, 07:11 AM »
The Empire vented heaters I listed above should not have the moisture issues that non vented heaters have.
______________________ ___

Its a lazy man that cant find his wife a second job

Offline StingingLips

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #23 on: Dec 18, 2013, 01:29 PM »
I have just put a procom ice house propane heater in my shack. havent had it running for more then 3 hours yet but it hasnt fogged the windows up yet. its 10000 btu and cranks heat.

Offline The Rusty Crab

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • I'm not leaving until I catch a fish!!! R. Crabs
« Reply #24 on: Dec 18, 2013, 02:44 PM »
so you guys like the blue flame one or the infrared one.  What is the big difference.

Offline Scalloper

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Eat Scallops
« Reply #25 on: Dec 18, 2013, 03:46 PM »
There is somthing about a woodstove in a shanty. Its without a dought the best heat and way to dry stuff off. My only problem is to hot or to cool they are hard to regulate.
Here are some more options for a wood stove
http://www.walltentshop.com/woodcampstoves.html

Offline Scalloper

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Eat Scallops
« Reply #26 on: Dec 18, 2013, 03:48 PM »
so you guys like the blue flame one or the infrared one.  What is the big difference.
I was told yesterday by a heating tech guy that the ones with the glowing brick are much more efficient

Offline MG39

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • No Matter Where You Go, There You Are!
« Reply #27 on: Dec 18, 2013, 03:55 PM »
There is somthing about a woodstove in a shanty. Its without a dought the best heat and way to dry stuff off. My only problem is to hot or to cool they are hard to regulate.
Here are some more options for a wood stove
http://www.walltentshop.com/woodcampstoves.html

x2 on the wood stoves, they are too hard to regulate, wood takes up too much room & a pain to get it there.   I have the Buddy in my shack vented in the peaks,  don't have any condensation problems and I can keep the temp where I want it.
Man To Man Is So Unjust,
No Man Knows, Which Man To Trust,
I Have Trusted Many, To My Sorrow,
Pay Cash Today & I Will Trust Tomorrow,
Maybe......

Semper-Fi

Offline pegasus

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • THINK ICE
« Reply #28 on: Dec 18, 2013, 04:59 PM »
Just bought a Mr. Heater Buddy at Tractor Supply for 74.89.
Steve

Offline StingingLips

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #29 on: Dec 18, 2013, 06:32 PM »
x2 on the wood stoves, they are too hard to regulate, wood takes up too much room & a pain to get it there.   I have the Buddy in my shack vented in the peaks,  don't have any condensation problems and I can keep the temp where I want it.

When I had the wood stove I liked how I could dry stuff. get it cranking hot when it was in the negatives, and didn't need insulation in the shack. what turned me away from it and made me switch to the propane was having to lug wood, wood taking up space like you said, having to shovel the ash out, it made a mess, took up a good amount of room, couldn't control the heat and had to keep feeding it, and with the chimney only being 6 feet tall sometimes a very strong wind would blow the smoke back inside to the point you couldnt see in through one window and out the other. that could have been my fault about the chimney. I could have built it better I guess.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.