Author Topic: inline reel  (Read 4023 times)

Offline Iceassin

• Team IceShantyholic
  • The secret to fishing...fish where the fish are.
Re: inline reel
« Reply #30 on: Dec 15, 2019, 09:08 AM »
Idk its a fad..inlines drag sucks its either on or off and barely a in between.they dont freespool tiny jigs very good,they balance offset on the handle side.line does stay less coily i guess.spool rubs palm using pencils grip.i only have experience with the long and short stem eagle claw,no 8 cgi and numerous frabill models.im not buying a more expensive model because i just dont like them.i now only use them to drop heavy smelt rigs into deep water.they freespool heavy spoons like a rocket.small jigs you still have to pull line off like a spinning reel.jmo

Exactly why I got rid of mine. Sounds good in theory but out on the ice...not so much.
"Si quaeris peninsulam amoenam circumspice."

Offline bigfoot86

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #31 on: Dec 15, 2019, 09:14 AM »
Yes the drags aren't the best on them, thats why I didn't want to spend a lot of money on them..but on a day where it's a tough bite and your finesse fishing for panfish, this is where they can shine. 

Offline slipperybob

• Team IceShantyholic
  • LX5 or die...maybe extra battery.
« Reply #32 on: Dec 15, 2019, 09:23 AM »
What benefit do the inline reels serve vs a spinning reel? Line twist? Drop speed?

All just tools of the trade.  Each has it's own benefits and each has it's own flaws.  Which benefits one chooses to live with and which flaws one chooses to accept.

Inline, spools...straighter line, slower drop on most lures as lure has to pull the spool to spin.  On very light lures where one has to strip line from spool anyway, inline/spools are faster since there's less drag in water from a straighter line.

Spinning reels...fast easy operation.  Coily lines induces line twists, but most of it's is lure action induced twists.  Coily lines also creates a spring coil delay effect.  Also creates drag on light lures that one still has to strip line off to drop.  Lousy rod tip bounce on the crank.  The faster you reel the more the rod tip bounces.

For more information read my MN nice journal

Offline Iceassin

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #33 on: Dec 15, 2019, 09:39 AM »
Yes the drags aren't the best on them, thats why I didn't want to spend a lot of money on them..but on a day where it's a tough bite and your finesse fishing for panfish, this is where they can shine.

I guess I'm a bit different when it comes to finesse and beating a tough bite. My rod...and reel...aren't as important as the right jig size. And mostly...a GOOD strike (wire) indicator. I make my own. So if the line twist is too bad on my spinning reel? I will just put on a small barrel swivel.

Offline Unclegillhunter

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Ice So Nice
« Reply #34 on: Dec 15, 2019, 09:47 AM »
I have no issues with how fast my inlines drop light jigs. As quick if not more than my spinning reels. As with anything you either like the tool or not. I don’t try to talk folks into or out of a purchase. Said this before opinions are like armpits everyone has them!
Keep it safe! JDL

Offline DR.SPECKLER

• Team IceShantyholic
  • find your own fish..
« Reply #35 on: Dec 15, 2019, 09:48 AM »
Im always finesse fishing with 1 and 2# line and micro 2mm and 3mm jigs and prefer spinning reels over inlines.

Offline Iceassin

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #36 on: Dec 15, 2019, 09:49 AM »
Im always finesse fishing with 1 and 2# line and micro 2mm and 3mm jigs and prefer spinning reels over inlines.

X2

Offline bigfoot86

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #37 on: Dec 15, 2019, 10:42 AM »

Don't get me wrong most of set ups are spinning reels and that's what I fish with a lot but I kinda like the inlines too.  And I usually don't like tying barrel swivels on with small jigs, just me.

Offline DR.SPECKLER

• Team IceShantyholic
  • find your own fish..
« Reply #38 on: Dec 15, 2019, 10:46 AM »
Don't get me wrong most of set ups are spinning reels and that's what I fish with a lot but I kinda like the inlines too.  And I usually don't like tying barrel swivels on with small jigs, just me.
right i dont tie on anything but a jig.i dont have problems with line twist with spinning reels .dont reel against the drag and i stretch a few feet of the line every few fish,also fish in my heated shanty alot that keeps line less coily.i hate splitshot or swivels on my line.fish peck them and i dont like seeing them on my vexilar.

Offline hnd

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #39 on: Dec 15, 2019, 01:06 PM »
Idk its a fad..inlines drag sucks its either on or off and barely a in between.they dont freespool tiny jigs very good,they balance offset on the handle side.line does stay less coily i guess.spool rubs palm using pencils grip.i only have experience with the long and short stem eagle claw,no 8 cgi and numerous frabill models.im not buying a more expensive model because i just dont like them.i now only use them to drop heavy smelt rigs into deep water.they freespool heavy spoons like a rocket.small jigs you still have to pull line off like a spinning reel.jmo

i've used almost every one and this is basically spot on.   the random free spool mess when in a bucket, case, etc are just the icing on the cake. 

Offline shootsmcgee

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #40 on: Dec 15, 2019, 04:42 PM »
I spent a few buck on the Rapala Inline Concept when it came out. What a piece of crap, line flies off the side and tangles every other drop and if that doesn't manage to happen when the drum unspools the weight of it keeps it spinning and it bird nests around the handle. Brutal, I keep it on the coffee table at the cabin as a constant reminder of what not to waste money on...
well if you were me then i'd be you and i really wouldn't know what the hell I was talking about...

Offline slipperybob

• Team IceShantyholic
  • LX5 or die...maybe extra battery.
« Reply #41 on: Dec 15, 2019, 09:32 PM »
I spent a few buck on the Rapala Inline Concept when it came out. What a piece of crap, line flies off the side and tangles every other drop and if that doesn't manage to happen when the drum unspools the weight of it keeps it spinning and it bird nests around the handle. Brutal, I keep it on the coffee table at the cabin as a constant reminder of what not to waste money on...

LOL...you just reminded me of every single fishing reel I've ever used...as a kid.

That's why he gave me nothing but a soup can and some line and a bobber.  For ice fishing the slip bobber with the tooth pick.  I mastered that.
For more information read my MN nice journal

Offline wirenut45

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #42 on: Dec 16, 2019, 08:07 AM »
jeremy; what hand do you reel with? if rt. hand, i have a Frabil 271( ?) you are welcome to. NO, there is nothing wrong with it. i bought it after season several years ago very low price, to see how i liked inlines. turns out i like them, so i upgraded to BB6061 and have no rod to put it on. it,s yours if you PM me your addy. wire

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.