Author Topic: Baffin control max or snow monster?  (Read 6021 times)

Offline fishslap

• Team IceShanty Addict
Baffin control max or snow monster?
« on: Dec 14, 2019, 07:09 PM »
I’ve been wearing sorel conquest for many years.  I like them but my feet get cold in colder temps even with proper wool socks.  I couldn’t find another sorel that looked warmer in a lace up style boot that wasn’t too clunky.  Any opinions on Baffin control max vs snow monster?  They say waterproof but I don’t see mention of any kind of waterproof breathable liner to deal with slush past the lower rand.  Other options I’m not considering?  Do the Baffin run true to size?

Offline RStock521

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Re: Baffin control max or snow monster?
« Reply #1 on: Dec 14, 2019, 09:56 PM »
Go with the Baffin Eiger on shoes.com for around $120 after the 30% promo code

Offline TickleStick

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #2 on: Dec 14, 2019, 11:39 PM »
I've got the control max and love them, my bibs also fit over the boot.
WINTER IS COMING!

Offline dubob

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Life is good!
« Reply #3 on: Dec 15, 2019, 09:54 AM »
I’ve been wearing sorel conquest for many years.  I like them but my feet get cold in colder temps even with proper wool socks.  I couldn’t find another sorel that looked warmer in a lace up style boot that wasn’t too clunky.  Any opinions on Baffin control max vs snow monster?  They say waterproof but I don’t see mention of any kind of waterproof breathable liner to deal with slush past the lower rand.  Other options I’m not considering?  Do the Baffin run true to size?
When my military issue winter boots (Bunny Boots) wore out, I bought a pair of Baffins rated at -60*F (don't remember the model name).  Tried them for on year in temps down to about -10*F.  My feet got cold.   :-\

I sold them and bought my second pair of military issue winter boots and my feet are once again NOT cold.  They are 100% waterproof and can be purchased from dozens of on-line sources for way less than $100.   ;D
:thumbsup:
Bob Hicks, from Utah
I’m 81 years young and going as hard as I can for as long as I can.
“Free men don't ask permission to bear arms.” ― Glen Aldrich
“Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter, and those who matter don’t mind.” ― Dr. Seuss

Offline fishslap

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #4 on: Dec 15, 2019, 05:45 PM »
Thanks for the input guys.

Offline Baetis62

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #5 on: Dec 15, 2019, 06:05 PM »
I know some guys here have had quality issues with the Mucks but I'm on my 4th year in the Arctic Sports.  Love em.  Granby slush up to the ankle is no problem at all.  Feet have never been cold.  EZ on EZ off.  Much easier to walk in than my old Sorels.

Offline dubob

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Life is good!
« Reply #6 on: Dec 16, 2019, 06:14 AM »
I forgot to mention earlier that one thing most folks don't consider when outfitting for cold outdoor adventures is that ones AGE is very important.  As we age, our body's tend to not work as well as they did when we were full of 'pep' & 'viger' ( ;D).  And blood circulation in the extremities is one of those things that diminishes considerably.  So you aren't generating the heat in your hands and feet that your 20, 30, & 40 year old body did with gusto.  For you youngsters, just about any of the boots mentioned will work satisfactorily.  However, comma, you senior folks will need the very best HEAT RETENTION boots made.  Having used Sorels, Baffan, Muck, & Military Issue over the years in temps south of -20*F, I am now using the Military ones in my twilight years.  Just thought all y'all should consider that.  Have a great season!
 :thumbsup: :icefish:
:thumbsup:
Bob Hicks, from Utah
I’m 81 years young and going as hard as I can for as long as I can.
“Free men don't ask permission to bear arms.” ― Glen Aldrich
“Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter, and those who matter don’t mind.” ― Dr. Seuss

Offline defish

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #7 on: Dec 16, 2019, 09:10 AM »

If your feet are getting cold in the Sorels you probably want to go to the lowest temp rated Baffins like the Apex. The "temp rating" on these boots is "relative" and not necessarily "actual" so use if just for a reference as to which boots are warmest.  My understanding is that most Baffins run small - maybe look for feedback on Amazon, etc. for sizing info.

Offline Sylvanboat

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #8 on: Dec 16, 2019, 04:05 PM »
I just ordered a pair of Baffin Eiger boots and their Customer Service dept said to order one size bigger for their -100 degree boots.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.