Author Topic: LX-6S Modifications?  (Read 1165 times)

Offline Mistermojo

• IceShanty Rookie
LX-6S Modifications?
« on: Dec 14, 2019, 08:32 PM »
Looking to hear about mods you've made to your LX-6S to make them more functional.  Pics would be super helpful.  I already have an Amped Outdoors battery, but that's as far as I've gotten.

Thanks,
Mojo

Offline SLAYERFISH

• Team IceShantyholic
Re: LX-6S Modifications?
« Reply #1 on: Dec 15, 2019, 10:11 AM »
you turn it on and watch the lights. What else do you wish it to do? ???
Love Me or Hate Me-
All Metal all the Time!

Offline maddogg

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #2 on: Dec 15, 2019, 04:48 PM »
I changed out the plastic trans. arm for a solid aluminum one.
Engraved and only $20.

Offline 3300

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Michigan Moderator.Not affiliated with MarCum Tech
« Reply #3 on: Dec 15, 2019, 06:29 PM »
i used to hot glue a cob led light to the bottom of the head unit for night fishing.

a buddy uses a short strip of led rope on the transducer arm facing into the ice hole.

i bought the marcum shuttle for weight reduction and the light and the usb ports and the rod holders, all built-in.

install a screen protector for while wearing sunglasses you can remove the snow shield. use one for a laptop and cut it to size.

Offline Mistermojo

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #4 on: Dec 16, 2019, 08:55 AM »
I like the light underneath the unit - Where did you buy the one you used? And by the time I spend the money on lights, etc, is it worth upgrading to the shuttle?  I can use the Amped lithium in my power box instead to run my lights, etc.

Offline 3300

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Michigan Moderator.Not affiliated with MarCum Tech
« Reply #5 on: Dec 16, 2019, 10:46 AM »
i bought 6" cob lights called driving lights on amazon. was 6$ for two. has a black frame around the light strip.
https://www.amazon.com/Universal-Waterproof-Trucks-Daytime-Running/dp/B071PFC1H2

i also use an amped outdoors battery in an ammo box and added one (hot glued) of the cob lights to the outside of it on the lid for a lantern and a power box and a dry box.

the battery replacement cost is huge for the shuttle, but when i bought mine it was offered online on marcums site for 79$ so i bought the shuttle. since then they removed it and want 160$ last i knew and you have to send in your shuttle. i did voice my thoughts to them for their bait and switch tactic.

the retail price on their shuttle was 250$ seems to down to 225$ now and can find deals on it for 200$ or less.
i think there is room behind the sonar to add an external battery and either hardwire it or plug it into the shuttles charge port. that port is also a 12vdc tap if needed.

Offline 32footsteps

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #6 on: Dec 16, 2019, 06:41 PM »

I’ve posted pics of this thing in the inventions thread. A few of the key things are:

1) Built in marine stereo with Bluetooth capabilities.
2) Rod holders
3) Bait cup on cover for transporting minnows
4) Green LED lights and white LED lights
5) USB outlets and 12v outlet
6) Mount for Recon+ camera
7) 5mm jack for plugging in and powering underwater lights
8) Beverage holder mounted at ideal height where I don’t have to bend over to set a beer on the ice when landing a fish.

The trickiest part was getting it balanced right. Everything is powered by a 12ah LiFePo4 battery. I used to power it with a 12ah SLA battery and everything could be run for a solid day. Switched to a different battery for weight.

Offline SLAYERFISH

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #7 on: Dec 16, 2019, 06:52 PM »

I’ve posted pics of this thing in the inventions thread. A few of the key things are:

2) Rod holders
8) Beverage holder mounted at ideal height where I don’t have to bend over to set a beer on the ice when landing a fish.

The trickiest part was getting it balanced right. Everything is powered by a 12ah LiFePo4 battery. I used to power it with a 12ah SLA battery and everything could be run for a solid day. Switched to a different battery for weight.

I don't know whether to laugh or cheer?
Love Me or Hate Me-
All Metal all the Time!

Offline DR.SPECKLER

• Team IceShantyholic
  • find your own fish..
« Reply #8 on: Dec 16, 2019, 06:59 PM »
Lol right.battlestar galactica build.

Offline Baetis62

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #9 on: Dec 16, 2019, 09:55 PM »

2) Rod holders

Nobody's gonna beat that 32...maybe if they had a Point Bock in the cradle but that'd be the only way.

Offline bigfoot86

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #10 on: Dec 17, 2019, 07:36 AM »
That is awesome and hilarious at the same time! Ingenious...lol

Offline Sylvanboat

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #11 on: Dec 17, 2019, 10:12 AM »
This is what makes this a great country.

Offline Mistermojo

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #12 on: Dec 17, 2019, 03:34 PM »
That thing is amazing!  I can fix a chainsaw or put together Ikea furniture, but wiring is something that I have no talent for.  If you want to go into business, I can be your marketing department.

Offline 32footsteps

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #13 on: Dec 17, 2019, 11:24 PM »
It does create some chuckles and head scratching but then when people see how it works the lightbulb seems to go on as to why I did this build.

I can just grab this thing to hole hop. Extra rods can be carried on it, a mount for a jig box is built in, if I’m using minnows I can put a few in a plastic cup that is recessed into the lid, etc. No need to carry a flasher, bucket with rods, minnow bucket if that’s what you are using, or anything else.  It can all be carried on this contraption. Throw an extra beer or two in your pockets, the open one is nestled in the drink holder and away you go. One hand operation for everything you need freeing up the other hand to carry an auger.

The LED strips light up a pretty good area so setting in tip ups or pulling them out in the dark is a cinch. Flip a switch and you have more than enough light in every direction from where it is sitting.

It really began as a quirky way around the balance issue the LX7 has in its soft case and it ended up taking on a life of its own. I had the marine radio on hand (the radio itself has built in speakers) so what the heck? Might as well put it to use. Phone rings and all I have to do is hit one button on the radio to answer the phone. No digging in pockets fumbling around with anything....or if you want to stream music through it it’s capable.  Or if you want to tune in to a radio station there’s also a small 9” antenna mounted to the lid.

Offline Moosemilk

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #14 on: Dec 18, 2019, 08:46 AM »

2) Rod holders

Awesome stuff!  made me think of Caddyshack.

Offline Buckshots

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #15 on: Dec 18, 2019, 08:54 AM »
The beer is the best part! Don’t forget the beer!

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.