Author Topic: ISSUES with Jiffy Propane Pro4 Ice Auger  (Read 5979 times)

Offline danger1337

• IceShanty Rookie
ISSUES with Jiffy Propane Pro4 Ice Auger
« on: Dec 14, 2019, 09:57 PM »
Had issues ever since I got this auger
Blades are sharp but the machine seems to bog down and stops cutting every couple of inches.
If I don't put weight on it the blades it just spin.

Anyone have any suggestions?
video linked below

&feature=youtu.be

Offline JonPerry

• Team IceShanty Addict
Re: ISSUES with Jiffy Propane Pro4 Ice Auger
« Reply #1 on: Dec 14, 2019, 10:23 PM »
a few thoughts come to mind. are the blades out of the box sharp , or has it seen a season or 2? not a jiffy user, so I'm not familiar with the auger. are the blades  bolts tight? when was the last time they were touched up w a sharpener? I use an Eskimo hc40 & don't have to put much down pressure if any. It almost sounds like it's not running right as well. How old is it?

Offline Badder

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2 on: Dec 15, 2019, 06:56 AM »
I have the same auger and have not experienced this issue.
From what I can hear in the video is don't sound like the motor is dying, but the blades catching, I could be wrong though.
I have had to adjust the idle screw from time to time because sometimes it wants to die after drilling a hole,
not often but sometimes. This season will be the 4th season with the original blades and have not sharpened them
and have had no issues, except for drilling into a Busch Light box...it didn't like that.
Good luck and Fish On! :tipup:
SPIN 2 WIN!

Offline Light liner

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Rather be judged by 12 then carried by 6.
« Reply #3 on: Dec 15, 2019, 07:42 AM »
Check to make sure theres no blockage not allowing full flow of lp. Regulator or spider webs.
Check your exhaust make sure thats clear.
Try another propane bottle.
Check your spark plug.
Champlain
Memphremagog

Offline DR.SPECKLER

• Team IceShantyholic
  • find your own fish..
« Reply #4 on: Dec 15, 2019, 07:50 AM »
Hmmm,ive got a jiffy pro4 lite and it chews ice up.seems like yours doesn’t rev as high at full throttle.or clutch is slipping.idk make sure crankcase oil is not in the carb.the crankcase breather tube is connected to the carb housing and i have found oil in mine before.i would also send that vid to jiffy/feldman engineering and they may help out or swap powerheads if it was a lemon right out of the box.

Offline Gunflint

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #5 on: Dec 15, 2019, 07:56 AM »
Makes electric/drill augers problems seem easy, especially for a non-motor head like me.
Veritas Odium Parit

Offline Unclegillhunter

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Ice So Nice
« Reply #6 on: Dec 15, 2019, 08:31 AM »
Going with the rest of the replies. Fourth season for mine. Regulator leaked right out of the box. Got with CS took care of me. Think it was a run issue on the regulator cause the first one they sent also leaked. Got the next one two days later and have not looked back. Have never needed much down pressure to cut a hole. I too suggest you send the video to Jiffy. Hope you get it figured out.
Keep it safe! JDL

Offline DR.SPECKLER

• Team IceShantyholic
  • find your own fish..
« Reply #7 on: Dec 15, 2019, 09:59 AM »
Ok after reading the post again and says if no weight is applied it just spins.are the blades on right?and another thing is sharpen the pilot point.my old jiffy had a dull pilot point and it would cut a little then just spin..the pilot point does more than just start the hole it digs in the hole and gets blades to touch the ice in the whole cutting process.got anyone with a jiffy and borrow a bit to eliminate that?if it does it still with different bit its the powerhead.

Offline danger1337

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #8 on: Dec 15, 2019, 11:38 AM »
Thanks for all the suggestions!
This auger is not new and was bought 2nd hand...

The machine does not seem to have a issue going wide open only when it starts to cut ice.
Blades are sharp
New plug and oil
Tried a different bottle of propane
I keep the powerhead stored in a milk crate separate from the flight so oil leaking should not be a issue.

My main auger is a strikemaster cobra so a no go on swapping the flights to see if that is a issue.

Offline DR.SPECKLER

• Team IceShantyholic
  • find your own fish..
« Reply #9 on: Dec 15, 2019, 11:52 AM »
Is the blade mounted on top or below auger flight plate?blade goes on top.i know guys have got that messed up before.also mine stays up right and still had oil in carb.easy to check as cover just pops off.

Offline DR.SPECKLER

• Team IceShantyholic
  • find your own fish..
« Reply #10 on: Dec 15, 2019, 12:02 PM »
Just trying to help,not be a know it all.if you were near me id let you use one of my bits.

Offline Iceassin

• Team IceShantyholic
  • The secret to fishing...fish where the fish are.
« Reply #11 on: Dec 15, 2019, 12:11 PM »
Just trying to help,not be a know it all.if you were near me id let you use one of my bits.

NEVER see you as a know it all in any of your posts Doc. Just a guy with a lot of knowledge and experience willing to share it. If anyone sees it differently...well...i t's on them. Just wanted to put that out there.😉
"Si quaeris peninsulam amoenam circumspice."

Offline DR.SPECKLER

• Team IceShantyholic
  • find your own fish..
« Reply #12 on: Dec 15, 2019, 12:12 PM »
NEVER see you as a know it all in any of your posts Doc. Just a guy with a lot of knowledge and experience willing to share it. If anyone sees it differently...well...i t's on them. Just wanted to put that out there.😉
thanks bro.i was just thinking from my post count i may talk to much.lol

Offline hardwater diehard

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #13 on: Dec 15, 2019, 12:20 PM »
Not familiar with Jiffy augers or propane augers..but seems to be a lot of generations ..and some videos on replacing some fuel system parts ..I would start with contacting Jiffy with your situation.

https://www.jiffyonice.com/

Give a man a fish he eats for a day .Teach a man to ice fish he has an obsession for a lifetime

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #14 on: Dec 15, 2019, 12:24 PM »
thanks bro.i was just thinking from my post count i may talk to much.lol

So am I a know it all based on my post count... ;D..hope my posts don't come off that way ..many many many folks on this site give it there all to help out ..and you sir are one of them...
Give a man a fish he eats for a day .Teach a man to ice fish he has an obsession for a lifetime

Offline DR.SPECKLER

• Team IceShantyholic
  • find your own fish..
« Reply #15 on: Dec 15, 2019, 12:26 PM »
So am I a know it all based on my post count... ;D..hope my posts don't come off that way ..many many many folks on this site give it there all to help out ..and you sir are one of them...
lol that and I feel the need to respond to almost any thread on here...i just love talking fishing.you are the how to vid and link to anything master tho!waiting on a edrill demo from you tho.lol.need a everyday guy and not prostaff vid of it.not much is known about the ht edrill

Offline Iceassin

• Team IceShantyholic
  • The secret to fishing...fish where the fish are.
« Reply #16 on: Dec 15, 2019, 12:36 PM »

Yup...the MORE you post the LESS you know. 🤣🤣🤣
"Si quaeris peninsulam amoenam circumspice."

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #17 on: Dec 15, 2019, 12:41 PM »
lol that and I feel the need to respond to almost any thread on here...i just love talking fishing.

TRUE STORY...especially when waiting for safe ice ..

Now back to the helpful portion of this thread ..if I recall correctly didn't jiffy have some Uff-Da on there first and second generation propane

https://www.iceshanty.com/ice_fishing/index.php?topic=340941.msg3618699#msg3618699

https://www.iceshanty.com/ice_fishing/index.php?topic=338232.msg3586371#msg3586371

Offline DR.SPECKLER

• Team IceShantyholic
  • find your own fish..
« Reply #18 on: Dec 15, 2019, 12:48 PM »
Yeah im curious what gen it is.they had regulator and hose problems and the oil in the carb issues early on which mine gets oil in thru the breather tube connection from the crankcase and carb but mine wouldnt do what the op auger is doing.mine would stall at idle but cut great on throttle.

Offline Rebelss

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
  • Inventor of Minnow Magic American Patriot
« Reply #19 on: Dec 15, 2019, 01:28 PM »
Your engines fine. The clutch/transmission are not. One or both are slipping under stress.
“The mass of men live lives of quiet desperation”  Thoreau

Offline P-Wo

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #20 on: Dec 15, 2019, 07:19 PM »
My jiffy pro 4 is doing the same. It’s at least 5 or 6 years old and near the end of last season it started doing the same as yours. I am hoping it was, let’s say, a bad bottle of propane but I’m not holding my breath. Although we do not have ice yet this season in the driveway it is sounding good. I’m hoping it doesn’t bog down as soon as it hits the ice. I will have my mora in the truck just in case.

I’m also listening for other ideas,

Offline ice4066

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #21 on: Dec 15, 2019, 07:40 PM »
i have same auger and actually had that problem mine ended up being the fuel hose it had just a little leak in it couldnt even see it till my buddy pressure tested it ,i guess was getting just enough air in it to run to lean,i ordered a new hose got an after market one that is a little longer and rubber stayes more plyable when cold ,also if my propane gets real cold i have issues so i keep it in hut with me and in cab of truck to, thats just what i found with mine

Offline P-Wo

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #22 on: Dec 15, 2019, 09:16 PM »
Thanks ice4066. I will test my hose this week.

Offline Fordpickupjaybird

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #23 on: Feb 08, 2020, 07:17 AM »
How did your buddy test it? What type of connection tester did he use? Was your line the thick black rubber line or the copper line?

i have same auger and actually had that problem mine ended up being the fuel hose it had just a little leak in it couldnt even see it till my buddy pressure tested it ,i guess was getting just enough air in it to run to lean,i ordered a new hose got an after market one that is a little longer and rubber stayes more plyable when cold ,also if my propane gets real cold i have issues so i keep it in hut with me and in cab of truck to, thats just what i found with mine

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.